Wednesday, 23 July 2014

The Night Circus


Last week, I read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It was a beautiful book and I would definitely recommend. Morgenstern presented a very different idea to magic than I am used to (having read Harry Potter and the likes), but I loved this. It was a very sophisticated view on magic and shown in a grown-way. The magic was surrounded by sophisticated language, character and thoughts.

Another thing I loved about The Night Circus was the constant change of perspective. I know some people find this very confusing, but for me it added to the magic. It was mostly told in third-person, following around specific people, but with the occasional second-person passage. One chapter you would be reading about Celia, and the next Bailey. The advantage to this style is you get to know all the characters in great detail rather than just the odd one. You also feel like you are inside the book, more so, I found than other books.

The book is set in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and this is well represented. There is a touch of romance, enough for romance lovers (like myself), but it doesn't dominate the storyline.

My only negative thought is towards the ending: it didn't feel like an ending of a book but rather of a chapter, and I think something a lot more powerful could have been done there. But maybe that was how Erin Morgenstern wanted it to come across that Le Cirque Des RĂªves continues.

Overall I would rate this book 4.5 stars out of 5 stars, and would definitely recommend.

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment